And safety comes first.

Tuesday, July 29

Rock You Like a Hurricane and/or Earthquake!

What, me? Panic? I continued to leave my voice message, continued to sound professional, despite the earthquake's steadfast attempt to rattle me. A magnitude 5.4 quake hit the Los Angeles area just before noon today. Though I recognized the natural hazard immediately, my reaction was a delayed and nonchalant one--one that would bring shame to those who spent so much time ensuring my earthquake safety inculcation. Stop, drop, and roll!

"What the hell are you doing?," shouted a nearby co-worker from under her desk.

"C'mon, Marilyn, I know the drill! I was born and raised in California!," I shouted back.

"You're supposed to take cover under your desk and cover your neck!," she exclaimed.

"That's old school! Too many spinal injuries. Stop, drop, and roll is where it's at these days!," I yelled back.

"You're crazy! That's for fires!," she said.

"Fire extinguishers are for fires. I'm rolling to avoid falling objects in an earthquake!," I explained.

The conversation lasted long after the earthquake stopped. Ol' Marilyn later huddled around the water cooler with some other office workers and laughed about my earthquake preparedness. Whatever. I know what I'm doing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should try my earthquake survival technique:
Run into the nearest doorway and stand, slightly crouched, arms away from body, like you're riding a surfboard.
Hey, at least I'd be ready for the impending tsunami (25 miles inland from the coast). Oh, except that I don't have a surfboard in my earthquake kit (YET!).

Minnefabulous said...

I'm with Jill the Brit on this one. Everyone knows that hiding under your desk is only effective with nuclear fallout.

Minnefabulous said...

or, alternatively, if you're trying to avoid your boss at annual review time.

Anonymous said...

I actually enjoy spending time under my desk, and try to do it as often as possible.