And safety comes first.

Tuesday, October 7

Friends > 20

After several years of dismissing Internet-based social networking sites like Facebook and MySpace, calling them petri dishes for the social bacteria of high school and college cultures, Sylvia signed up for an account on Facebook, inspired only by her younger brother's tasteless, yet hilarious urinal photograph. In just days, Sylvia accepted 20 "friendships" from people she stopped talking to for one reason or another.

One Reason: She is related to them.
Another: She is no longer in high school with them.

What she learned from this isn't that it was a bad idea to sign up for an open-to-anyone social networking site. What she learned was what breeders her classmates turned out to be!

Please note that I have wised up and changed my privacy settings on Facebook, so don't bother trying to become my friend. I already have over 20.

2 comments:

bòn said...

try friending with "idle house"

why you put your real name in there???

Anonymous said...

Just remember - it's not a popularity contest, so don't feel pressured to have lots and lots of friends so people can see what a winner you turned out to be.

Of course, that's easy for me to say - I think I have >20 friends myself. What a loser!