And safety comes first.

Tuesday, January 2

More than a Headache

When a group of words get together for one big mindless party, you get something called "More than a Feeling" by Boston. I have to apologize for this one, friends. I was overconfidently ambitious when I announced I was going to produce another one of my insightful "English Major" essays on these lyrics. Therefore, I invite my intelligent readers to offer some of their insight into this troublesome rant about non-feelings. My unintelligent readers can stay tuned for an upcoming Yes-or-No "quiz" about whether they prefer white bread or wheat. (I choose rye!)


More than a Feeling

I looked out this morning and the sun was gone
Turned on some music to start my day
I lost myself in a familiar song
I closed my eyes and I slipped away

It's more than a feeling (more than a feeling)
When I hear that old song they used to play (more than a feeling)
I begin dreaming (more than a feeling)
'till I see Marianne walk away
I see my Marianne walkin' away

So many people have come and gone
Their faces fade as the years go by
Yet I still recall as I wander on
as clear as the sun in the summer sky

It's more than a feeling (more than a feeling)
When I hear that old song they used to play (more than a feeling)
I begin dreaming (more than a feeling)
'till I see Marianne walk away
I see my Marianne walkin' away

When I'm tired and thinking cold
I hide in my music, forget the day
and dream of a girl I used to know
I closed my eyes and she slipped away
She slipped away

It's more than a feeling (more than a feeling)
When I hear that old song they used to play (more than a feeling)
I begin dreaming (more than a feeling)
'till I see Marianne walk away

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, for the most part, I've got nuthin'. I mean -- "More than a Feeling"? What can be more than a feeling? A fact? Nostalgia is a fact? Is that the profound conclusion that they're going for here? No wonder Marianne left his sorry ass.

But I came to a horrifying realization, as I thought about this song. You see, Peter Gabriel is one of my favorite musicians. He has a song on his most recent album called, er, "More than This." But that's ok, right? Just a coincidence? But the first line of it is: "I woke up and the world outside was dark"

So is Peter Gabriel ripping off BOSTON?! Just shoot me now and get it over with. My world has been upended. There's just no point in going on.

Anonymous said...

Tom Scholz had a degree in engineering, and spent years working to perfect "More Than a Feeling" in the isolation of his basement studio. When Boston did their first tour, he was so self-conscious that he performed with his back to he audience.
Ted Kaczynski had a degree in mathematics, and spent years working to perfect his bombs-through-the-mail system in the isolation of his one-room cabin. When he was a teaching assistant, he was so self-conscious that he taught with his back to he class.
Just coincidence, or something more?

Anonymous said...

You know, when Bryan Ferry was performing with Roxy Music in their early years, he was so self-conscious that he insisted on performing off to the side of the stage, rather than front and center.

SO DOES THAT MEAN THAT ROXY MUSIC WERE RIPPING OFF BOSTON TOO??!! sheesh, that's it, another of my faves has fallen. I'm sick at heart. Peter Gabriel, Roxy Music, the Unibomber ... well, ok, I like 2 out of 3, but still -- it's too much for me.

Anonymous said...

It's worse than that. Scary Spice was sending love letters to the Unabomber in prison -- while she was bigamously married to Tom Scholz and Bryan Ferry -- and having an affair with Peter Gabriel!

Anonymous said...

well that just figures.

Mark D. said...

:: Brad Delp was obviously a queer because he had a moustache.

:: Also he sang like Donna Summer.

:: I dig how Nirvana stole this riff on "Smells Like Teen Spirit". It's like the smash-hit guarantee riff if you ask me.

:: I was very disappointed with Third Stage: how could Tom Scholz have worked so long on such a crap album, his worst ever? How long did "Can'tcha Say (You Believe in Me)" really take to compose and record?

:: Oh I get it, the third stage of grief in the Kubler-Ross model is "Bargaining". Therefore Tom Scholz was bargaining for acceptance, cf. the classic "Can'tcha Say (You Believe in Me)" where eighties-moustache-Delp is on his knees for some reason.

:: I bet the "old song they used to play" in "More Than a Feeling" is something totally gay like "MacArthur Park" (later covered by Donna Summer) (to amazing effect) (did I tell you I love that weird song?) (but I'm not gay) (yet).

:: More posts related to Boston, please.